The objective of EFORWOOD is to develop a quantitative decision support tool for Sustainability Impact Assessment of the European Forestry-Wood Chain (FWC) and subsets thereof (e.g. regional), covering forestry, industrial manufacturing, consumption and recycling.
The objective will be achieved by:
1. defining economic, environmental and social sustainability indicators,
2. developing a tool for Sustainability Impact Assessment by integrating a set of models ,
3. supplying the tool with real data, aggregated as needed and appropriate,
4. testing the tool in a stepwise procedure allowing adjustments to be made according to the experiences gained,
5. applying the tool to assess the sustainability of the present European FWC (and subsets thereof) as well the impacts of potential major changes based on scenarios,
6. making the adapted versions of the tool available to stakeholder groupings (industrial, political and others).
The multi-functionality of the FWC is taken into account by using indicators to assess the sustainability of production processes and by including in the analysis the various products and services of the FWC.